Casa Mila wasn’t constructed in a single day and neither was Sagrada de Familia. It took months until the architecture(s) were able to create a blueprint. The same is the case with almost every other thing. May it be a monumental site or a website/mobile app, the process is pretty much the same. If you want to create a high quality, high performance, and engaging digital presence, you need to make sure that it’s blueprint is designed in an optimal manner. Today, I will shed light on a tool called Xamarin which can help you create the perfect digital presence. Xamarin allows you to create online experiences that work seamlessly across a variety of operating systems including Windows, Android & iOS. The tool uses native libraries that are based on Microsoft technology stack. The current community of the platform amasses a total number of 1.4 million developers from around the world.
However, like every other tool on the planet, Xamarin also depends on quality input to create results. Knowing the software tool on which you’re going to work beforehand makes all the difference.
Here are 5 things you need to consider before starting a project on Xamarin.
The Code on Xamarin is Reusable But Not Entirely
Why is Xamarin a great tool? It’s because Xamarin allows you to reuse almost 75% of the code that you’ve already produced for one OS platform. It’s the remaining 25% of the code that makes all the difference. Before you proceed with the app project on Xamarin, ask yourself how many similarities do you want in each version of the apps which you will run across different platforms? Most developers fall under the false pretense that once the code for the app is generated, then you can easily use it just about anywhere you want. That is certainly not the case with Xamarin as you may have to reuse the code again for different platforms such as Android, iOS, or Windows. Developers usually avoid duplication by adopting an architecture called MVC or MVVM.
Explore the Tool Before You Start Creating Something
It’s good to test the Xamarin tool by doing something simple to get the gist on how to use Xamarin. It’s easier to get comfortable with Xamarin when you don’t have deadlines looming on the horizon. In this way, you become more accustomed to how the tool works and what its capabilities are. At the same time, it also helps you identify the shortfalls in the tool and once you have explored the tool then it will become relatively easier for you to work on an actual project more freely. Unlike other tools where you may have to manually update the tool for coding practices, Xamarin automatically stays up to date with new features and bug fixes. It keeps the latest APIs intact and gives the software developer all the room he/she needs to explore the coding grounds.
Understand the Technical Requirements for the Application
So before you start working on an app project for Xamarin, make sure to consider the technical aspects of the app. For example what operating system will the app primarily focus on; whether it will be Android, iOS, or Windows. Also, which versions of the operating system will the app support. Alongside app requirements, you will have to consider dependencies such as what hardware type you will be using. Identify what third party software will you be required to integrate and how you are planning to handle the updates and maintenance of the app. Such things need prior intervention before the app moves into the development phase. After all, such steps are very important to address beforehand because we need to make sure the app delivers up-to-date information.
Create a High-Level Document Listing Down All the Specifications
As the product comes under development, it will undergo a list of changes as more robust opportunities will arise. Hence, it is important that you address several other factors such as,
- Taking screenshots and analyzing diagrams
- Establishing corporate identity requirements like fonts, color specs,
- Checking what languages will the app adopt to run
- Checking in which category will the app easily fit in
- Copyright information and so on.
By performing a detailed review of the app functionality, a custom software development company can ensure that it can establish the perfect architecture for the mobile app.
Create a Timeline as per How Much Time the App Will Take to Complete
Next up is to analyze how much time will it take for the app to be fully developed. The developer discussed the workload and other issues with the graphic design team beforehand. Once, the timeline is discussed and set, the app moves into the development phase. Each phase is accomplished step after step until the software product comes into shape and becomes a complete working product.
So there you go, here are the 5 things you need to keep in mind before starting a project on Xamarin.